...GO AWAY! Most of my posts are positive and I'm fairly easily able to find the silver lining amidst my most challenging moments. Well, this is a hard one. This past week little brown Mickey the Gross Mouse decided to skitter across my floor while Hannah and I were hanging out. Luckily, we were sitting on my bed and thus safe from the little guy, who proceeded to scurry into the corner of my room and then along the side of my room...towards my bed. Okay, maybe not so safe anymore. We jumped up, me screaming and freaking out and Hannah laughing at me and telling me to chill out (but comforting me all the while). We decided to throw things at the nightstand/trash can area where he was (obviously) hiding and chilling out, awaiting our disturbance. After Hannah threw my deodorant at the trash can (and missed, womp) and I screamed at a big ball of nothing ocurring (Mickey moves fast and had somehow departed), I decided to toughen up and be mature about the whole situation...
Side note: First sighting of Mickey (two weeks ago) went more like this: I couldn't fall asleep because I knew I was hearing things and, after two hours of anxious tossing and turning, Mickey ran across my floor and toward my bed, which left me screaming and crying and in a state of ridiculous panic. Already slightly delusional because it was 2:30 a.m., I was just a mess and ended up waking up Kyle to sleep in his room. Good friend. I'm ridiculous.
Anyway, my idea for acting mature, calm, and somehow composed about the whole situation was to pretend that I was a mother trying to calm the fear of my pretend child (Hannah). So, I jumped from my bed to my desk and started thinking of ways to creatively tie up my trashbag and get rid of the thing, in case Mickey was hiding in/around there. Needless to say, Kyle walked into my room while Hannah and I were standing on my bed and desk chair, looking like total fools. (Okay, me more the fool and her more the friend rightfully laughing at the situation.) Brave hero that Kyle is, he walked right on over and just picked up that trash and took it out of my room. Again, great friends.
Our intended early night turned into a great evening and late night of talking, laughing, mouse sighting and laughing more, and just a lot of fun that we all totally needed. Because we're amidst finals, our days are filled with cafe trips and writing pages upon pages, but the nights are perfect for decompressing with friends. And, despite my confidence that I wouldn't be able to fall asleep in my room after the Mickey-sighting, I toughed it out, fell asleep to the Weepies, and woke up well rested. But, just to clarify: Mickey, you are NOT welcome here! I guess it's just a little battle and test of my endurance for two more weeks...OY.