Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Goal Accomplishment

Traveling this past weekend was awesome, but coming home was just as wonderful.  I've had to recreate my own room, my supposed sanctuary, many times since graduating from high school two and a half years ago.  The minor changes in which photographs I put up and where I place my scarves, books, tea, and other little essentials often consume much of my energy when I first arrive in my new room.  I was always the last camper out the cabin door after unpacking, because I was so into organizing my space and making it feel more like my home away from home.  The first night of college, I spent hours hanging photographs and rearranging my closet and everything on my desk.  And, when I got here, I definitely spent some time orienting myself with the room and, over the first few weeks, definitely tried to make this unnecessarily large room feel cozy and more homey.  Although I feel fairly successful with my decorations (each of the quotable cards Mom has sent me are hanging on my wall, along with many pictures of family and home, camp, and college friends), I have felt much more of an urge to incorporate neighborhood/local discoveries into my idea of developing this new home.


One of my classes with CIEE (my abroad organization) focuses a lot on how we adjust to being abroad, and encourages us to set and monitor personal goals throughout the semester.  Both before coming and during my time here, I have continuously looked forward to cafe finding adventures on my own.  So, today's goal was to head off on my bike, despite the morning drizzle, in search of a new cafe where I can grab a coffee and work or go out for a drink at night with a few friends.  Rules: 1) no maps or ideas of where to go before leaving; 2) decide which way to turn only right before the intersection, and no changing my mind; 3) bike for at least 15 minutes before stopping--it's important to get away from my immediate neighborhood; 4) get lost on the way; 5) once bike is parked, walk around the area for at least 10 minutes; 6) cafe must be situated close to a bakery; 7) pick a cafe; 8) order in Dutch; 9) write down the location!


Luckily, I was entirely successful in my search and thus spent the afternoon blogging and reading in a wonderful cafe that is, indeed, a 20 minute bike ride from my room.  Okay, there is actually a much faster way of getting there, but the pretty way is obviously preferable.  I was so pleased with the environment inside: lit purely by candles and the light from the sunroof, great mellow music, cool people, and the drinks and food were not expensive.  Definitely revisiting.


Dutch phrase of the day:


ecologische rechtvaardigheid = environmental/ecological justice (very relevant to my Social Justice and Development in the Global South course)

Dutch word/phrase bucket:

Ik vond een nieuwe cafe in de Jordaan, en het is heerlijk! = I found a new cafe in the Jordaan, and it is lovely!
Ik hou van mijn zus, Sarah, meer dan iets anders. = I love my sister more than anything else.  
Het is herfst, maar het weer maakt het gevoel dat het is zomer! = It is fall, but the weather makes it feel like it is summer!
Ik hou van de koffie in de ochtend. = I love having coffee in the morning.
Elke dag, heb ik een broodje met heerlijk kaas voor de lunch. = Every day, I have a sandwich with delicious cheese for lunch.
groen = green (Mijn fiets is groen = My bike is green)
geitenkaas = goat cheese (Geitenkaas is mijn favoriete voedse! = Goat cheese is my favorite food!)   
fiestpad = bike path
keo = cow
koffie = coffee
regendruppels = raindrops
goedenacht = goodnight