| Happy Camper #1 |
![]() |
| Aaron, our hero. |
| Only in Holland...this is a wooden clog shoe boat actually parked in the water. |
![]() |
![]() |
| Hannah's turn to have the bean bag. |
![]() |
| Chilling out so hard. The best. |
![]() |
| I couldn't resist adding this one, which documents Kyle's attempts to slow our crash...whoopsies. |
The evening was equally lovely: we made quesadillas for a potluck with the rest of the dorm and chattered away as we watched the stars come out and the duck family (they live right outside our windows) come home to sleep.
I woke up on Saturday to yet another blue sky, and let the warm air pour through my window while I ate breakfast and read more of my book. Kyle, Adrienne, and I then biked over to Vondell Park for a picnic and some great people watching. Everyone and their second cousin was there, and I saw more adorable babies than I could handle. We also had the opportunity to observe a blue heron for twenty minutes, debating whether it's strange minimal movements were trickster, battery-operated motions or real life action...it was real.
![]() |
| This was the perfect chance to update my "Reasons Why Studying Abroad and Being in Amsterdam Rules" list. |
...And Sunday was the peak of a truly vacation of a weekend. I just wasn't into doing my homework and felt guilty being inside when I knew it would be the last nice day for the rest of my time here. Obviously, the beach was the logical alternative.
When we arrived, we were the opposite of speechless: we repeated, over and over, "Oh my gosh, this sand is so soft," and, "Guys, we're at the beach...in Amsterdam." One of those moments when disbelief dominates but you don't question the magnificence. I spent the next four hours basking in the sunlight and collecting little shells along the water. And more reading (WOOOO) and lots of people watching. And napping. And being so happy.
![]() |
| Look how many cool shells there are!! |
![]() |
| Sun kissed and smiley. |
I was so proud of my ability to let go of the work and stay present for the whole weekend, and I don't regret my recent lack of sleep and intense work days to make up for it. Speaking of which, I need to be up in 5 hours so I'm going to cut this short but more to come so soon!
Dutch phrase of the day:
Ik hou van mijn zus, Sarah, meer dan iets anders. = I love my sister more than anything else. (Miss you, kiddo!)
Dutch word/phrase bucket:
Het is herfst, maar het weer maakt het gevoel dat het is zomer! = It is fall, but the weather makes it feel like it is summer!
Ik hou van de koffie in de ochtend. = I love having coffee in the morning.
Elke dag, heb ik een broodje met heerlijk kaas voor de lunch. = Every day, I have a sandwich with delicious cheese for lunch.
groen = green (Mijn fiets is groen = My bike is green)
geitenkaas = goat cheese (Geitenkaas is mijn favoriete voedse! = Goat cheese is my favorite food!)
fiestpad = bike path
keo = cow
koffie = coffee
regendruppels = raindrops
goedenacht = goodnight
keo = cow
koffie = coffee
regendruppels = raindrops
goedenacht = goodnight















